Inevitably several times a month, I wake from a sound sleep between 2-3 a.m. I lay there hoping to go back to sleep. I look out the window and the moon is shining brightly.
Then my mind starts racing with all the unresolved thoughts from the previous day and everything I want to do the next day. Dreams, regrets, wish lists, memories of events replaying in my head. I should have done this instead of that scenarios. I can't shut my mind off.
I wonder what triggers this and usually can't pin it down. I also can't quiet my mind enough to fall back asleep. I see the clock go from 3, to 4, to "oh well now it's time to get up".
Several things work to keep me asleep if I initiate these interventions before bed. However, if I forget my glass of warm milk, I'm stuck. The only thing that works for me is to grab my headphones and play my Insomnia music playlist on my phone. I just put in my most comfortable headphones and turn the music down low.
I know it doesn't make sense that music playing in my ears would work. But, somehow it quiets all the other thoughts I'm having and I'm soon falling back to sleep.
If you have insomnia and haven't found a solution, then you may want to try your own Insomnia playlist. Give these artists a try. They may lull you back into a peaceful slumber.
My Insomnia Playlist
1. Massage Tribe Meditation and Yoga - lovely nature sounds with native flutes and singing bowls.
2. Moroccan Spirit - smooth sounds, a nice Western take on Moroccan music.
3. The Zen Path of Life by Chee Len- I love love this one. Sounds like you're in a cave with water and chanting. Very relaxing.
4. Reiki Chants - get carried away by waves of healing energy
5. Whale Meditation by Kamal - soothing melodies alongside the songs of the humpback whale, ethereal
If you have insomnia, I would love to hear what works for you. How do you get back to sleep?
Please comment below or visit the Facebook Community page to contribute to the discussion.
Thanks for reading!